mercredi 25 février 2009

My "vacation" in Lyon

I haven't even finished writing the articles about some weekends in the US that I am already behind with updating what is happening now in France...

As I have only two days left before going to Cameroon, and still have to pack my lugage and read about the country, I will be short.

Some said that I am "on vacation" for 10 days in Lyon. I am then going to show what these "vacations" look like...
Basically, it is a race against the time to manage to see my family, my friends, and prepare my stay in Cameroon.

I found the time to visit my younger brother Adrien in his appartment (and now I realize how time goes by fast...)


(and I have been reproached for spending time online even out of my house...)

Short walk in Lyon where I met my ex roommate Lucile.


"Rue de la Repulique", the main shopping street of the city

La Fnac (best store for music and books) and Le Progrès (regional newspaper)


La Bourse (stock exchange) de Lyon


The Opera
pleasure to find the real french pastries again (croissants in particular :)


but I realize that during my absence, Starbucks became the rival...

anyways, the prices are expensive everywhere! (2.60€ for a muffin! and I don't talk about the tarts...)

Le quais du Rhône (the docks of the biggest river flowing through the city)



view on the Basilique Fourvière, Tour Métallique de Fourvière on the hills of Fourvière (the "praying" hills, because of the presence of the church), and the dome of the Opéra:


the other hills: Croix Rousse (the "working" hills in the history, because of the presence of the silk makers)Place des Terreaux (city hall plaza) by night

Lucile and I meeting with our dance partners for a "rock'n roll" night (fast swing dance). Never too far from the US !!!

"Dance is not an unhealthy entertainment, but sport, art, healthy recreation for the body and mind, a wonderful mean of physical and mental education. A flexible body, and easy posture, a balanced mind", here is the definition of an dance athlete. Dancing is staying Young!"


after a night in my ex apartment in Villeurbanne... still online!

back in my family house to prépare my party: while the women cook and do the dishes...

"Marie's come and Gone" party!



my ex roommates:


friends from engineering school:

friends from Highschool:





friends from... friends!

"family" friend:

friends from America

mix:
everybody! (Merci à tous pour cette soirée inoubliable!!!)




on a rainy sunday in Lyon...

Place des Terreaux: with the Fontaine Bartholdi

the fountain represents the Garonne, river flowing in Bordeaux on the french west coast, but the city couldn't pay for it so Lyon bought it!


the narrow paved street of the Old Town:

and an exemple of its numerous small interior courtyards:

interior of the Cathédrale St Jean, with the organ and the oldest astronomical clock:

Fourvière's Hills:
short break for strong coffee :)

Place Bellecour, former largest plaza in Europe (now 4th in France):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Place_Bellecour

Rue de la République with fountain and Caroussel:
Place de l'Opéra:


vacation doesnt mean laziness! back to the olympic swimming pool for diving :)












and to Chamrousse, in the Alps, for snowboarding!



when the Paris people have holidays... (we should build them moutains! ;)

the team:

my "brothers" Rémi and Alex

my friends Chris and Julie:



views on smoggy Grenoble (I prefer Lake Tahoe...):


on the lift chair:

Aucun commentaire: